Tuesday, September 11, 2012

EFFL Season 8 Off to Solid Start




I know that the initial power rankings caused a bit of a stir within league circles.  It also caused a flurry of emails which were all hilarious.  On the blog, there is a link at the top for the league message board.  This is just a page where everyone can post their banter throughout the season instead of keeping a large email chain.  Regardless, it is good to be back blogging again.  Despite the significant amount of time it takes to produce the blog, I thoroughly enjoy having a forum to rip on all league members and their bad decisions.  While incoming texts were slightly down in week 1, there were definitely a number of gems.

First, I have a bone to pick with Mr. Eric Brooking.  Although we squared off in week 1, this beef has nothing to do with our meeting.  Let me take you back to the trade deadline in 2011, which has been discussed ad nauseum.  With Woody frantic and on the ropes, you got drunk and traded him MJD, which he eventually turned into his 3rdchampionship.  You were chastised repeatedly, and it was assumed you learned your lesson…

I received this text message from Woody Saturday afternoon: “Lol just received a call from a shit faced eeb.  He offered Helu for Andre Johnson and complained nobody at the Michigan game accepts credit cards.”  While I laughed for a good 5 minutes straight, what are you thinking?!?!?!  I don’t like where this is going.  Please, please do not do something stupid again this year. 

I had a discussion with Fusco the day of the draft about 8 team leagues.  While the teams do tend to be a little more stacked, lineup decisions become that much more important.  So many points get left on the bench in the first week, and every decision could be the difference between a win and a loss.  It’s really true.

My personal favorite highlight of the week was the Nate Washington touchdown celebration.  He busted out the classic Sharks celebration from Any Given Sunday featuring Jamie Foxx (who has been disappointingly absent on the music scene lately).  I’d check it out if you haven’t seen either.  Also, the Giants lost and we got plenty of Manning face.  Very entertaining.  I am extremely glad that football is back, but it’s enough with the NFL shoving Peyton Manning down your throat.  Sunday night football week 1 and Monday night football week 2?  Nobody cares about the Broncos including me who has a Broncos Tebow jersey hanging in my closet.

A special congratulations goes out to Mike Y who won the first $10 prize as high score.

On to the rankings:

EFFL League 1:
1. Tequila Party Gnomes (1-0) – Last week: 5 – Apparently putting eggs in the Falcons basket could prove to be a very wise move in 2012.  The Gnomes were the last team in the league to draft a QB, and they may have the best one.  Currently -$20 in Buffalo Wild Wings parlays, but given the excitement of the Gnomes squad, will surely take his first beating in stride.
2. Dueling Pylons (1-0) – Last week: 3 – A very strong week 1 from the Pylons has solidified some of this teams question marks.  As RG3 carved up the Saints, I kept receiving texts from EEB asking me to “fill my hole”… apparently my initial blog indicating a hole at QB was the reference here, but I was concerned for a good amount of time.  Peterson looks great and this team has massive potential.  Could this be the year?  “Turn around, let me see your name.  I don’t know you bro”
3. The King’s Crusaders (0-1) – Last week: 1 – Not all that an impressive week, but still put up respectable numbers.  Unfortunately came up on the short end of the stick.  The best receiving corps in the league should be very consistent going forward.  I appreciate your numerous (greater than 5) attempts to trade me Steven Jackson.  I will not bite.  Side note: David Wilson looks good.
4. Lady Luck (1-0) – Last week: 4 – True to form, Lady Luck squeaked out a 1 point victory Monday night.  You should be proud that I’m actually not ripping on your team this year.  Even though Michael Turner is absolute garbage, and the rest of the league thanks you for taking him, Garcon looks like he could be a real player this year.  I think this team should be in contention for a while.
5. Coach Janky Spanky (0-1) – Last week: 7 – Moved up due to awfulness of the rest of the league.  Before the season I stated “Has arguably the #1 QB, TE, RB.  Nothing else.  That's a problem.”  I see no reason to change that statement or my feeling about this team.  I can’t see this team being a serious contender at any point.  I look forward to your trade offers for your boy “Hole”.
6. Tweeting in the Trenches (0-1) – Last week: 2 – Drafted the entire Broncos team and left them on the bench.  Fusco was so giddy to land Tamme, yet he’s on the bench!  Ran into a buzzsaw with TPG in week 1, but I think this team will pull it together.  Hopefully he waits until at least week 3.
7. Eat My Asomugha (1-0) – Last week: 8 – This is the first time Nick has not been ranked dead last in the power rankings since 2010.  Congrats.  Must be gouging his eyes out having to watch the Eagles intently every week.  Again, I can see this team maybe being able to sneak into the playoffs, but unfortunately will not get to play the Stanky Monkeys every week.
8. Stanky Monkeys (0-1) – Last week: 6 – I was too generous last week.  I gave Lou the benefit of the doubt, but nobody on this team showed up except Aaron Rodgers.  I think this team will see better days, but must be careful not to dig too big a hole.

EFFL League 2:
1. Threeing the Hogs (1-0) – Last week: 2 – This looks like the new team to beat.  Winner of the first $10 prize as high score in week 1.  Julio Jones looks like an absolute beast.  Brandon Marshall has finally been reunited with Jay Cutler after much, much whining from Cutler.  Nobody likes a whiner.  Mike also brought some serious trash talk via email, which was impressive.  I like what I’ve seen from this team.
2. Jersey Leshoure (1-0) – Last week: 1 – Decided to give Dosh a chance by starting Justin Blackmon but survived a week 1 scare.  Still, this is a strong team and leads the league with most suspended players.  The Ray Rice – McFadden combo is one of my favorites.  I hope you have some hair left after that Eagles game.
3. Claiborne Supremacy (1-0) – Last week: 5 – Perhaps I underestimated Matt Forte.  If he can keep up his production, this team is definitely going to be a player.  I don’t know how you ended up stuck in the Bronx watching colored dots on an iPad Sunday, but I commend you for your dedication to the Eagles passing game.
4. The Heads of State (0-1) – Last week: 3 – Receivers all put up pedestrian numbers in week 1, but similar to the Pylons may have gotten a steal with Peterson.  Yes, I was the one in Matt’s ear demanding he take Peterson for you.  Brain Trust baby.  It can win in 2 leagues in 2012.  There’s more to be done here.
5. RGIII for President (1-0) – Last week: 7 – Got a cupcake matchup in week 1 which shouldn’t happen again.  RB position looks a little weak, but that should still be OK in most weeks.  Living in DC and being around all the Skins buzz must be exciting.  He looks like a stud.  Also, in this election year I wouldn’t mind casting my vote as a write-in.
6. BABY TEES (0-1) – Last week: 8 – Ugh I can’t believe I’ve moved this team out of the bottom spot, but there is a serious possibility that Matt Ryan could carry this team all year.  Could even get some value out of Randy Moss, which would be an absolute joke.  I still wouldn’t be that scared of this team if I were in the league, but you never know.  Almost fought off Snooki and Leshoure, but didn’t have enough.
7. Team Toliver (0-1) – Last week: 4 – Still needs a team name, but it wasn’t your fault Mike Y ran train on you.  Can’t believe you kept your boy Stevie on the bench, but I think this week was this team’s floor.  Just wait til Welker has has usual 12 catch, 31 yard, 4 td games.  I like this team.
8. Team Cutter (0-1) – Last week: 6 – Maybe I’m being a little too harsh on Cutty, but he is using multiple Kansas City Chiefs.  With 87 points was low man on the 16 team totem pole. Given this fact, I think Team Cutter is far closer to the top/middle teams than the bottom teams in League 1.  Could easily jump in the polls soon.  In the famous words of Adam Cutter, “Sundays are so easy” apparently doesn’t apply to fantasy football.

While it was a fun start to the season, things will certainly get more interesting when teams assert themselves in the standings.  I anticipate a big week for the Pylons in honor of the Jewish Holidays.  I also look forward to more banter via the message board.  See you in week 2.

No comments: